Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I feel important, oh so important, I feel important and worthy

and unpaid!! But I can live with that right now.

I've spent the last 2 days at a UN conference for border police on identifying trafficking victims-- it was so cool! I so didn't belong in that room full of balding, powerful men, and a few powerful women, but the people at the Czech Interior Ministry like me, and are fabulous, so they assigned me to be a second La Strada representative and official conference notetaker;) And they all had to listen to what I had to say-- I love it-- and they did!! Only weeks ago I was complaining to Raphael about the border treatment when we went to Austria, like every other whining activist, and all of a sudden, I had the ear and the respect of the people who could do something about it! I got my own name plate and was simultaneously translated into 3 languages this time (oh yeah). I have never been to a 2-day conference like this and I had a ball, and got to use lots of German. I also learned so much about the trafficking situation, I actually feel trained and that I know something of what I'm talking about these days...it was such an honour to be there, and everyone was so nice to me...I became a little networking bee, and quickly filled up my complimentry card holder :-) :-)

Also, in my intense business, I have forgotten to welcome Lucasz, from Poland: our newest (and final) arrival at Andel...we are truly a full house now-- all visitors will have to sleep on the floor until someone goes on vacation--eek!!

One final note: our dear friend from Mexico, Efrain, who lives in Brno, got hit by a car last week. He is doing OK and recovering in hospital, and minus a few stiches, will be fine. He very sweetly sent us a message about how much he appreciated our friendship, and our wishes for a fast and furious recovery go out to him-- we're so glad you're OK, Efrain!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home