Sunday, March 19, 2006

Melting Ice

After 3 months of quiet, life has all of a sudden gotten really busy! I have two English students now, who want multiple hours a week, and I occasionally teach two-day intensive English sessions (with two other teachers) through the Ulrich Language Institute.
Also, La Strada has me attending important meetings at the US embassy (because they're in English), and I am working with my first client!
Kendra is coming to visit April 4th-20th, and we are plotting a party and a fun trip for my birthday. Mum made it through another round of RAD exams, and is enjoying the beginnings of spring on that side of the world. Dad reads my blog now which makes me very happy:):) Hey dad, everyone at Andel is reading the book you gave Raph, "Germs, Guns and Steel," so you are passing on the wisdom!!
As for the future, I am still waiting to hear from CUNY/John Jay, and am meanwhile putting in applications to USYD and UNSW's MCrim and MForensicPsch programs. One starts July 2006 and the other Feb 2007, so even if I'm moving to Australia, there's a possibility I will work in NY for another half a year first:-)
My Czech is slowly getting better, and except for our Polish house members, I think I hold the prize for best Czech at the moment. Yesterday we attended an excellent documentary on Gallipoli, and also agreed to start some Turkish lessons with our friend (and AISECer) Ozgur, so that we wouldn't be completely helpless on our May trip.
It's still snowing, and still freezing, but the end is in sight, and soon I will be able to stop drinking/eating hot chocolate to make it through (my alternative to the Czech staple of beer and cigarettes-- makes one less grumpy).

1 Comments:

Blogger Michela Illesa said...

Karen, I miss you tons!! And I want to go to Tea and Sympathy!! I hope you are finding some genuine light to get you through in Florida. Love, M.

4/17/2006 12:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home